504 Rees Park
Americus, Georgia 31709
If you're going to make a gluten-free recipe, then you want to know that it comes from someone who really knows their stuff. In the case of these scrumptious muffins, you can rest assured that BOTH the regular and gluten-free versions are top-of-the-line because Susan Egelseer (one-half of the innkeeping team at Americus Garden) was a Top 10 Finalist in the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Baker’s Challenge as well as first-place winner at the Georgia Pecan Festival for her pecan pie. Best of all, the muffins are quick and easy to make.
Both wheat-loving and wheat-free guests can enjoy these muffins and more at the Americus Garden Inn B&B while staying in one of seven rooms in the main house, or in the executive suite located in their “schoolhouse” just a short stroll from the inn through the historic town of Americus, Georgia. To walk off the indulgence, there’s a park directly across the street with walking trails, or just stay on the grounds and do laps around the lovely gardens (or just sit and watch the koi do them in the pond!).
Yield: 6 muffins
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup chopped nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 6 muffin cups with liners or spray with PAM.
- In a microwavable bowl, place chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on high for 40 seconds. Stir for at least 30 seconds. If not completely melted, microwave for 10 second intervals until melted. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with sugar. Stir in vanilla and melted chocolate mixture stirring until combined.
- Gradually add flour, stirring until blended. Fold in nuts, if desired.
- Divide batter equally between muffin cups. 6. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until tops begin to crack.
- Cool on rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
SMALL BATCH GLUTEN FREE BROWNIE MUFFINS
Yield: 4 Muffins
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 3 TBS baking cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 4 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Mix oil and sugar until blended.
- Add egg, blend well.
- Add vanilla, blend well.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add wet to dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Scoop evenly into 4 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean.
For more bed and breakfast recipes, subscribe to my newsletter.